Thursday, June 12, 2008

Dickens Estate

On my walk to the tube each morning, I am sadly reminded that "estates" are not a concept reserved for police chases on the Bill as I walk past block after block of these drab, square, low rise flats. And I'm not sure what Dickens (and a host of other English writers) would have thought of lending his name to these estates that provide the background to my morning walk. But recently, with the emergence of some warmth and much pollen - these estates have been providing me with some insight into the mannerisms of the English which seem to be brought on by the warmer weather....


Case 1: During the first round of 20+ degree days (and yes, they do seem to exist), a number of the families residing in the lower floor apartments decided to pretend that the strip of grass between the edge of their flat and the footpath (which is immediately next to a 6 lane road) was in fact a beach. As early as 9 am I would see the kids running around with the hose, supervised by dad in speedos and mum in her bikini with straps pulled down, sunglasses on, cigarette between her fingers, thumbing through a magazine. When I'd walk home in the evenings, it was as if the family hadn't moved.

But, it seems, that one family in particular has wisened up to the unpredictability of an English summer and so....

Case 2: This week, a shade cloth gazebo type structure with pale green edgings has emerged on the section of the grass in front of one flat. Matching green deck chairs and tables have materialised. But I'm yet to see this incongruous structure in use.... I'm waiting and watching with bated breath (although am also kind of scared given said family's already exhibited lack of prudishness - who knows what sins they believe shade cloth capable of concealing).

I really wish I could take a photo to post but the Bill has educated me too well....

No comments: